Saturday, January 2, 2016

644#Love Note ~ [Book Review] Gone Girl

 

Although I read Gone Girl way back in April 2015, I've only got time to properly review this book. I've change my ways of reviewing books, including editing and updating the ones I've done. But I'm not done with all the reviews yet. Do check it out ;)



Read: From April 7 to 25, 2015
Rating: 4.7/5

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?


Gone Girl was my first read from Gillian Flynn. As the movie has been adapted and received well by both readers and viewers, I was intrigued to read the book that won 2012 Goodreads Choice. I was happy because this book didn't disappoint me.

Gone Girl starts with the missing of Amy Dunne, the wife of Nick Dunne on their fifth wedding anniversary. At first, people are being sympathy towards Nick, saying Amy is fine, Amy is gonna be alright. But, people's opinions change with the investigations by the police. Nick is the main suspect in Amy's case. While Nick tries to uncover the truth, the clues that Amy left for their treasure hunt lead him to a shocking revelation.

There are two major parts in Gone Girl. The first one involves the story that tells from Nick's perspectives in the present time and Amy's perspectives from the past written in her diary. The second part is told by Amy's perspectives in the present time, during her missing.

Gillian Flynn has done a great job writing this piece. The readers would be deceived with both Amy and Nick. Some would be on Nick's side, some would be on Amy's side and there's a group who doesn't know to side with whom. I found myself contemplating whether to trust Amy or Nick. It was been going on and on until the second half of the book, when the second major part came.

The storyline and writing are okay. It's not too difficult to grasp the scene and picture it in your mind. You would not have problems in understanding the whole situation happens in the book. The plot twist is beyond amazing. I never thought I would read a book like this one, considering I rarely pick crime & mystery book as my reading. I highly recommend this book if you want to give thriller genre a go. 

The only problem I have with this book is the ending. I didn't expect it to be that way! I want the one who responsible in this whole ridiculous act to be punished! Put the perpetrator behind the bars! I seriously needed time to move on with the ending *sigh*

By the way, I watched the movie too. I think the movie is decently adapted from the book even though the feeling of reading the book and watching the adaptation is not the same. You could watch the movie if you do not want to read the book. It's great, I assure you ;)

Till then.
Wassalam.

8 comments:

  1. Oh seriously ? I read it at Goodreads last year but I dinnt know tht this novel won 2012 Goodreads Choice ( So I did Miss something ) haha, btw I don't know that this book is appropriate for teens or what do you think about this Farhana ?. I dont have a problem with swearing, but with the plot chratcter n situation. This book is a very stylized take on marriage, relationships , police work, the justice system ( If Im not mistaken . Correct me if Im wrong ) but the most of the book doesn't hold up to honest thoughts . It may be a good conversation starter for a teen, but Id hate for them to think of this as Real (-_-) . If anything, its a crazy tall tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kita tgok movie ni dua 3 kali :D still xboleh terima ending dia... hahahaha... btw done follow back :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Syamsid Dhuha honestly I think this book is not suitable for teens, the story is so twisted. Have you read Sharp Objects? to be frank I choose Sharp Objects i n terms of more gruesome than Gone Girl. both books are disturbing but Sharp Objects is too dark. sometimes I wonder how the author could write all this crazy stuffs in one book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaah qila tengok movie dia mcm GILA GILA NO!!!!
    hahahah. Ill try to buy the book later hihi thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Movie pon hado kan. Peminat novel ek awk.. samela.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book or watch the movie. will put in my 2016 list.

    ReplyDelete

Finished reading my entry? Why not you drop a comment or two? ;)

Broaden News